November officially marks the beginning of Mouth Cancer Action Month. Throughout the mouth of November, the Oral Health Foundation campaign aims to raise awareness about Mouth Cancer, the signs and symptoms, how to self examine and also promote the importance of visiting your Dentist regularly and leading a healthy lifestyle.
Clyde Munro are supporting The Oral Health Foundations aim to help raise awareness and help the fight against cancer!
Here are just some statistics about Mouth Cancer and it’s impact:
- The main causes of mouth cancer are smoking or using other forms of tobacco, drinking alcohol, infection with the human papilloma virus (HPV).
- In the UK, more than 2,300 people in the UK die from mouth cancer each year. However, if mouth cancer is diagnosed early enough, the survival rate is 90%.
- Mouth cancers are more common in people over 40, particularly men but anyone can be affected.
- Around a third of mouth cancers are thought to be linked to diet and a lack of essential vitamins & minerals.
- Raise from too much ultraviolet (UV) radiation is a well known cause of cancer. This UV light can come from the direct sun or sunbeds. Skin cancer can develop on the lips as this area is often exposed to UV radiation.
- To lessen your risk, cut out smoking, drink less alcohol and eat a healthy diet of at least five portions of fruit & vegetables per day and make regular visits to your Dentist.
Throughout the month of November, Clyde Munro will be posting vital information on Mouth Cancer so you know exactly what to look out for. Our first tip is to make sure your Dentist every 6 months and don’t hesitate to book an appointment if you notice anything that doesn’t seem right!
If you are currently looking for a Dentists, Clyde Munro have practices all over Scotland, to find out more, visit our practice page on our website today!
If you want to find out more about Mouth Cancer, make you visit the Oral Health Foundation official website by clicking here!