What can a dental hygienist do for me?
Published: 12 August 2016
Did you know that you can now be seen by a Dental Hygienist without referral from a Dentist? On the 1st of May this year, the General Dental Council changed the ‘rules’ on how patients can see a Dental Hygienist. Previously all dental care has been delivered to patients after seeing a Dentist to provide a treatment plan and prescription. The rule change has opened the way for ‘Direct Access’ to Dental Hygienists without the need to see a Dentist first. This means you can now continue to attend your own NHS Dentist for ongoing regular dental treatment and see a Direct Access Hygienist for additional gum care or cosmetic cleaning. Dental practices within the Clyde Munro Dental Group provide this service, allowing patients direct access to our Hygienist services.
Here’s what a dental hygienist can do for you:
Oral hygiene advice
- A dental hygienist is specially trained in the prevention and treatment of gum (periodontal) disease which is the main cause of adult tooth loss and also to give advice on all aspects of good oral health.
- Demonstrate effective tooth brushing technique without causing tooth wear and receding gums
- Discuss and demonstrate the latest oral hygiene products
- Advise on the best methods to clean between the teeth
Testing and preventing periodontal disease
- Exploration of periodontal disease
- Oral hygiene inspection
- Removal of plaque and hard (calculus/tartar) deposits
- Discuss secondary factors that cause periodontal disease eg smoking and diabetes
- Discuss how periodontal disease could affect or complicate other health problems, for example, heart disease
Prevention of tooth decay/erosion
- Discuss the causes of tooth decay and erosion
- Give diet advice on how to reduce sugary and erosive food and drink
- Give fluoride advice and apply fluoride varnishes to help remineralise early signs of tooth caries
Special Occasion Appointments
If you have a special occasion coming up, such as a wedding, a family get together or a prom night, why not come for a thorough clean to include polishing and stain removal.
Help keep your mouth healthy, fresh and clean!
- Remove hard deposits from teeth
- Polish the teeth to remove staining
- Stop gums from bleeding when brushing
- Prevent unpleasant tastes and bad breath
Make an appointment with one of our Dental Hygienists – it’s your next step to good oral hygiene! Find your local Clyde Munro Dental Practice and contact us today for an appointment or further information about anything discussed above.